Building Self and Relationship Awareness
This can be provided as a standalone service or integrated into a development programme for managers, team members and new recruits, including your apprentices.
Using the Strength Deployment Inventory, we focus on understanding each manager’s motivations, how they behave under normal circumstances and how their behaviour is changed when they are in conflict, that is under stress or pressure.
We also look at the team’s profile as a group, the dynamics of the group and what this means for the team, what works and what they need to be aware of, where they might be lacking as a team.
All of this helps the managers understand what impact they are having on others and therefore what they need to be aware of and opportunities to change.
We explore such questions as:
- What impact do I have on those around me?
- How can I affect the motivation of my colleagues and my team?
- How do I make the most of my resources?
- How can I better deal with conflict and difficult conversations?
Focusing on Ourselves
For most of us, whether in a leadership role or not, we are not usually fully aware of what motivates us, what makes us feel valued, how this impacts on how we think and behave, and what happens when we feel stressed or in conflict.
SDI provides those insights and helps us on the way to being much more effective, engaging leaders. In addition, understanding how our thoughts and therefore behaviours impact on others around us, and understanding how we change when we feel stressed or in conflict helps build our leadership capabilities and our confidence.
With this insight you can begin to:
- Recognise how you are feeling and understand how this will impact your behaviour
- Understand how your behaviour is likely to impact those around you
- Acknowledge how you change when stressed or under conflict and think about what steps you can take to modify your behaviour
Maximising your Ability to Lead a High Performing Team
Whether we are working with you in a 1 to 1 coaching relationship, or we are taking you through a leadership development programme, we will work with you apply this new insight to help you:
- Develop more effective ways to communicate with different people and achieve a win-win result
- Understand what you can do to build more productive relationships and better achieve shared goals
- Act to motivate your different team members and build a team that excels
- Improve your ability to minimise conflict, deal with conflict or cope with difficult situations and conversation, improving your effectiveness as a leader and team member
- Manage your own resources and impact
Focusing on our Team Members
Once you have this personal insight, you can modify your own behaviours and also become more aware of what might be behind the behaviours of your team members or your colleagues.
You will be more conscious that everyone has different motivations and values, that everyone behaves differently when things are not going well and as a result, you can start to think about what you can do to:
- Understand your team so that you know how best to communicate with them to motivate them to perform
- Support your team members with tasks or situations that you know they might not be comfortable with
- Help motivate and engage them to excel by understanding what they value
- Help them pull together as a team with the knowledge that different people have different strengths and also different coping mechanisms
Similar to the approach for managers, we can work with your team to help them understand themselves better, their colleagues and the impact that they have on their colleagues. We explore how things are when everything is going well and how it changes when they are in conflict or under stress.
For example, we have a workshop aimed at new recruits that incorporates Strength Deployment Inventory. We firstly focus on learning styles and some of the key considerations when undertaking development or placed in a project team or where they are learning a new role. We help them become more aware of the relationships in the workplace, and understand their individual motivations and drivers. We also cover individual strengths and the strengths of the group to help everyone understand working relationships within the workplace.
Then we focus on where we go individually when under pressure or in conflict, and how to recognise this. Then we focus on overdone strengths and how this can impact our working relationships both individually and as a team. It allows us to think about how an individual is likely to react when under conflict, how he or she might be motivated differently and therefore might behave, and therefore as a team member, the signs to look out for that someone is under conflict.